Tag Archives: supplier relationship management

Managing Supplier Relationships Vital to Supplier Performance

In a survey of  223 procurement, supply chain and supplier relationship management by the consultancy, State of Flux, almost two-thirds said that they did not have a definition of Supplier Relatinonship Management (SRM) in their companies.  The conclusion of …

Posted in supplier performance, Supply Management | Tagged , | 1 Comment

For Supplier Cooperation, No Surprises

In a recent poll conducted by Supply Management, more than half of buyers (55%) have experienced problems introducing suppliers to e-procurement systems. But the other 45% did not. What was the difference? How the new technology was communicated to
Posted in procurement, supplier evaluation, Supply Management | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Common supplier certification: easier said than done

Recently I wrote about suppliers who charge their customers to conduct an on-site audit. The desire to charge stems from the fact that site visits are time-consuming and resource-intense for suppliers. Many suppliers have to host multiple site visits and

Posted in Business, Quality, supplier evaluation, supplier performance, Supply Management | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Is What's Good for Volvo Good for Its Suppliers?

In an interview in the IFPSM ezine, Bernt Ejbyfeldt, senior vice president of purchasing at Volvo Car Corporation, was asked whether Volvo planned to provide financial assistance to help its struggling suppliers. Ejbyfeldt said that Volvo wasn’t in a …

Posted in Business, Manufacturing, Supply Management | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

It's the Customer, Stupid

I recently wrote a post for the Spend Matters blog, “12 Reasons Why Supplier Scorecards Fail” (updated, with one additional reason than my original post  on this site in December 2008). There were some insightful comments, including one …

Posted in Business, Manufacturing, Small business, supplier performance | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

In a Supply Chain Failure, a Bad Workman Blames His Tools

The latest victims of the economic downturn seem to be suppliers in the electronics supply chain. As reported in the May 18th WSJ article “Clarity is Missing Link in Supply Chain“, as business began to contract, Best Buy …

Posted in Business, Lean, Manufacturing, procurement, supply chain | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Supplier Selection: Tips for Small Businesses

I was recently interviewed by business columnist Jamie Herzlich over at Newsday for an article she recently wrote, “Small Business: Choosing the Right Supplier.” (May 14, 2009)  Many businesses are struggling with the challenge of how to choose …

Posted in Business, procurement, Small business, supplier evaluation, supplier performance, Supply Management | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Want to audit us? It'll cost you.

A colleague of mine, Sandra Gauvin, an expert in the quality field and writer of the Current Quality blog and newsletter, recently brought to my attention a new disturbing trend in supplier evaluation: suppliers who charge their customers to for …

Posted in Business, Corporate social responsibility, Quality, supplier performance, Supply Management | Tagged , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Making sourcing strategic through spend visibility

Attracted by the potentially high cost savings and the direct impact on the corporation’s bottom line, some firms plunge directly into strategic sourcing activities without first fully understanding their spend. While they will probably achieve cost reductions, these firms are …

Posted in Business, procurement, Supply Management | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Becoming Lean: Procurement Can Help

I was reading the recent blog post at the Spendmatters:   Beyond Shedding the Deadweight in Procurement and Operations. Instead of just cutting headcount, particularly in procurement, Jason Busch suggests other ways to approach cost reduction. Among the suggestions are: …

Posted in Business, Lean, supplier performance, Supply Management | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment